Who is Jewish and how do they live?
By the end of this unit the children will be able to:
Make sense of belief:
• Recognise the words of the Shema as a Jewish prayer
• Retell simply some stories used in Jewish celebrations (e.g. Chanukah)
• Give examples of how the stories used in celebrations (e.g. Shabbat, Chanukah) remind Jews about what God is like
Understand the impact:
• Give examples of how Jewish people celebrate special times (e.g. Shabbat, Sukkot, Chanukah)
• Make links between Jewish ideas of God found in the stories and how people live
• Give an example of how some Jewish people might remember God in different ways (e.g. mezuzah, on Shabbat)
• Talk about what they think is good about reflecting, thanking, praising and remembering for Jewish people, giving a good reason for their ideas
• Give a good reason for their ideas about whether reflecting, thanking, praising and remembering have something to say to them too.